1- Garnacha Blanca
Garnacha blanca is a somewhat unknown variety outside of the original areas of its cultivation, but at the same time it is a very interesting variety to replace the large amount of Airen that exists in Spain. It is a very rustic, productive variety, adapted to very hot climates and that works well throughout the peninsula.
The white Grenache is a mutation of the red Grenache that appeared in the area of Catalonia.
It largely shares the ampelographic, viticultural and oenological characteristics with the red Grenache , except for the color of the bunch.
It is cultivated in the southeast of France and in the Northeast of Spain, from where it is native.
Grenache B is also known as Lladoner Blanco, Grenache Blanc, and Grenache Blanc in France.
3- Growing Zones of Garnacha Blanca
This variety is grown mainly in the areas where it is native.
DO where it is grown
- Costers del Segre
Authorized in the following DO
- The Empordá-Costa Brava
- Castilla la Mancha
In France the main area where it is used is the Rousellon and the Agy Valley.
4- Characteristics of the white garnacha grape
- Adult Leaves: Medium size, pentagonal and with five lobes.
- Racemes: Small to medium size, compact and with a very short peduncle.
- Berries: Medium, elliptical in shape and fine skin.
5- Phenology, sprouting and maturation
- Sprouting: Early-medium
- Maturation: Medium
- Cycle: Medium
6- Characteristics of the Garnacha Blanca strains
- Vigor: Very High
- Fertility: High.
- Production: Medium-High
- Porte: Very upright.
7- Adaptation to terroir , terrain and climate
- Rustic variety , very resistant to drought.
- Fits land infertile and stony.
- It is sensitive to excess humidity and waterlogging conditions.
- Sensitive to the shift of the bunch, but to a lesser extent the Garnacha.
- It behaves well in short pruning viticulture , obtaining satisfactory productions.
- Quite resistant to wind .
- Magnesium deficiency symptoms are often easily expressed .
8- Sensitivity to pests and diseases
- Not very sensitive to powdery mildew.
- Sensitive to excoriosis, mildew, botrytis and bacterial necrosis.
- Sensitive to cluster moth .
- Very little sensitive to mites.
9- Characteristics of Garnacha Blanca wines
- Garnacha blanca white wine grapes is a variety that produces alcoholic wines , with medium-high acidity and rich in extract.
- Grown in cool areas, it improves the acidity of your wines.
- The potassium and malic acid contents in wine are considered low.
- White Grenache wines are colored greenish-yellow, and aroma of medium intensity, with floral notes, fruity and herbaceous.
- On the palate they are light, acidic and with medium persistence.
- It has a high content of oxidases that advises careful preparation to avoid early oxidation.
- Its wines can be mixed with other white varieties, or they are used in the production of monovarietal wines.
- Likewise, it is used to produce natural sweet wines and rancid wines of golden color, fat and wide, which are consumed as dessert wines.
10- Wine tasting
In its visual phase we appreciate light yellow colors with greenish reflections.
In the olfactory phase we highlight:
- Good aromatic intensity with floral notes and white and tropical fruit.
- Citrus fruits appear as secondary aromas.
- Once opened, notes of candied white fruits appear.
In the fustative phase, the white Grenache wines we can highlight the following characteristics:
- Fresh and sweet entry.
- It has unctuousness and a certain persistence on the palate.
- Tertiary aromas of melon and peach.
- Well structured.
11- Pairing your wines
Garnacha pairs well with:
- The rice light taste like fish, mixed or Oriental.
- Pasta or rice salads .
- Different types of pasta with marine touches.
- White or blue fish , both freshwater and sea.
- Chocolates and various desserts.