1- Variedades de Vid: Syrah o Shiraz
Syrah was a totally unknown variety in our country until the end of the 90s. There it had a boom where it became fashionable and planted a lot, too much, even where it was not supposed to. He has the problem of sudden death and hot climates do not help for these things.
That said, it is a premium variety and is often used to add color and body to the blend. It is used a lot together with cabernet and merlot.
2- Origin of the Syrah Grape
Variety of Jordanian Palestinian origin , very introduced in the Rhône Valley, considered by some authors of French origin, from where it has spread throughout the world.
Really the origin of the variety is not entirely clear . Some authors indicate that it comes from the Persian city Shiraz, and others indicate that it comes from Syracuse in Sicily, while others indicate that it originates from the French area of Rhododendron, where it has a penetration and great importance in its viticulture.
3- Synonymy, different names of Syrah
Syrah is also known as: Shiraz, Sirah, Sérine, Candive, Hignin, Sirac, Syra, Biaune, Balsamia.
4- Characteristics of the Syrah grape variety
The clusters of the Syrah variety are of medium size, compact cylindrical-elongated, with a long peduncle and little lignified.
Sometimes with a first pedunculated branch and separated from the rest of the bunch.
Very uniform berry size.
- The grains are small to medium in size.
- Slightly elliptical in shape, although in some materials this feature is hardly visible except in the clusters.
- With bluish-black epidermis and very marked stylar scar. With abundant bloom.
- Difficult to detach from its pedicel.
- With thick and resistant skin .
- Unpigmented pulp , consistent and of limited juiciness. Of peculiar flavor.
Characteristics of the Strains:
The vines of the Syrah variety are very vigorous, erect or semi-erect, with very long, thin, delicate shoots and many suckers.
With mid-season to late blooming and early maturation.
5- Where is the Syrah grape grown in Spain?
The cultivation of the Syrah variety is distributed practically throughout Spain.
Below we indicate the autonomous communities where the DO recommend its planting :
- Valencian Community
- Canary Islands
- Castilla la Mancha
- Madrid’s community
6- Syrah around the world
Today we can find the Syrah variety in Europe, Australia, Chile, South Africa and California.
Syrah du monde. Syrah Wines World Contest.
7- Agricultural and viticultural characteristics of Syrah
- Variety very sensitive to euthypiosis and not very sensitive to excoriation.
- Sensitive to mildew and black rot.
- Not very sensitive to powdery mildew at the beginning of its sprouting, but it is quite sensitive from the sow.
- Quite tolerant to botrytis but it can affect you a lot in over-ripening.
- Sensitive to cluster moths and very sensitive to mites .
- Sensitive to herbicide phytotoxicity, especially diuron.
Very sensitive to drought and iron chlorosis.
- Sensitive to the wind that produces frequent breakage of branches if they are not well tutored and secured.
- It does not tolerate excess moisture in the soil.
- Not prone to drift.
- It adapts well to all types of soils .
- Regarding the subscriber : It has low magnesium requirements and high needs in nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium.
- It must be grafted onto rootstocks that are resistant to iron chlorosis. It presents incompatibilities with the R-110 standard.
- Syrah pruning: It can be pruned on short thumbs, but also on Guyot. It should not be blunt and the trellises should be high.
- There is a great clonal diversity that includes moderately productive materials together with others of more moderate and aromatic production.
8- Oenological potential and aromas of Syrah wine
- Its musts are bright red and very dark .
- With a high content of very soft tannins . Tannic and relatively acidic wines.
- The wines are of good quality and have a high alcohol content.
- Its red wines, very colored , with a lot of body as they have a very high dry extract, age very well while maintaining their very stable color.
- Syrah wine is a wine with a lot of color, dark, intense, aromatic, very famous in world viticulture.
- Its wines have aromas of ripe fruit , reminiscent of currants, violets, wild blackberries and raspberries, maintaining aromas of pepper or cinnamon and cloves.
- When they age they do not take much aroma from the wood, but their aroma is reminiscent of leather, tar, smoked and only slightly vanilla.
Syrah wine is widely used in blends with Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot.