To be one of the Spanish wine appellations represents a lot of effort and work. It is a distinctive label that guarantees the quality of the wines of a specific territory. The recognition of the purity and peculiarity of the raw materials of said geographical location, where the products are produced and elaborated.
Spain wine appellations are distinctive for select products. Exquisite bottles for wine lovers that we must keep in wine coolers , if we do not want to lose any of their differentiating properties or characteristics.
3 requirements to be a Spanish wine appellation
The requirements for being a Spanish wine appellation take into account the entire creation process. From cultivation factors to climate or conservation. These are the main ones:
- Native grapes: they must come exclusively from the area cataloged with the distinctive designation of origin.
- Unique geography: the territory in question must have its own exceptional characteristics, which guarantee its quality.
- Testing time: in order to become denominations of origin Spain, at least five years must pass since the wine from that location was recognized.
Are there different types of appellation of origin?
- Denomination of Origin: it is the most common distinctive. Simply, they must be made in the DO with grapes from that specific geographical area and have unique characteristics, provided thanks to the geographical environment.
- Qualified Denomination of Origin: it is a more complex level. The product must go through a control system from production to subsequent marketing. In addition, all the wine that is produced must be bottled and at least ten years must have passed since it was recognized as a wine with a designation of origin.
- Quality wine with geographical indication: in this category we would find, for example, Pago wine, qualified Pago wine and Tierra wine, among others.
TOP 10 wine appellations Spain
In the first place, there is La Rioja , which includes the provinces of La Rioja, Álava and Navarra. With a market share of 37.6% despite having decreased more than 1% compared to the previous year.
In second and third place, Ribera del Duero is located where the provinces that make use of this denomination are Burgos, Valladolid, Soria and Segovia. Valdepeñas with 9% of the market share. In fourth place, Rueda is found with 7.7% where the provinces of Valladolid, Segovia and the north of Ávila belong.
Finally, there are: Navarra , La Mancha , Penedés , Cariñena , Rias Baixas and Ribeiro with a market share of 5.2%, 4.4%, 3.2%, 2.7%, 2.6% and 2.3% respectively.
Wines with denominations of origin from Spain present an indisputable quality seal in the same way as Vitempus. Wine cellars designed to preserve your wines with designation of origin either in your home or restaurant.
Do you need a wine cooler adapted to your needs? Get inspired by our collections and special editions ! Don’t wait any longer to enjoy the best designations of origin …