1- Small Grain Muscat
The small grain muscat is a very interesting variety to make blends with other whites, adding aromaticity to the whole. Planted in many parts of Europe, in Spain in the 90s, with the Muscat sparkling boom, the demand for this variety skyrocketed and it was the variety with the greatest increase in demand for a few years. The area planted in Spain also grew exponentially. As of today it has already stabilized.
It is a variety of surely Greek origin.
It is normally used as a white wine grape.
The grain muscatel menudo is also known as :
Gelber Muskateller (Germany), Muscat (Germany, Malta, Italy), Muscat (Germany), Muscat blanc (Germany), Muskateller Gelber (Germany), Muscat de Grano Menudo (Spain), Muscat Morisco (Spain), Muscat de Frontignan ( España), Moscatel Galego Branco (Portugal), Moscato Bianco (Italy, Malta), Muscat de Chambave (Italy), Moscatello (Italy), Moscatello (Italy), Muscat (Italy), Moschato aspro (Greece), Moscato spinas (Greece) ), Moschato Mazas (Greece), Moschato aspro Β (Greece), Moschato Spinas (Greece), Muškat (Slovenia), Muskat Peti Gran (Bulgaria), Tamianka (Bulgaria), Muškát žltý (Czech Rep., Slovakia), Muskatel ( Malta), Rumeni muškat (Slovénie), Sárga muskotály (Hungary).
4- Characteristics of the small grain muscat grape
- Small to very small in size.
- Very compact.
- Uniform in the size of their grains.
- Small in size.
- Yellowish-green epidermis that turns to a very intense golden yellow when ripe.
- Spherical beads.
- Consistent and very juicy pulp, with a strong muscat aroma.
– Good fertility but low production.
Flavoring in the middle season and very early maturation.
6- Characteristics of the strains of the small-grained muscat
- It allows short pruning although the production improves long pruning and a high number of thumbs or forks.
- Good resistance to drought and poor soils.
- Sensitive to sunny.
- Sensitive to powdery mildew and rot.
- The bunches are small and the berries are medium.
- It is a suitable variety for making wine white dry, natural sweet wines and sparkling wines.
- It can also be used in coupage to add aromaticity to more neutral wines, improving the whole.
- It has a high sugar potential , with a good balance in acidity and an intense, powerful and delicate flavor.
- Very peculiar and intense floral, muscat and melliferous aromas , capable of high alcohol content.
- Wort Color deep golden yellow, highly acidic and slightly bitter aftertaste.
- Suitable for natural sweet wines and mistelas.
Other articles that may interest you: