Merseguera is an autochthonous Valencian variety from the regions of La Serranía and Alto Turia.
3- Characteristics of the grape and the Merseguera strain:
Medium to large in size, highly compact and with a short, slightly lignified peduncle. Uniforms
Medium in size, with yellowish-green epidermis. Spherical in shape. With fine and very sensitive skin, with uncolored, soft and very juicy pulp, without special flavors.
High vigor, good adaptability with a tendency to carry it lying down. High fertility and good production. Flare from mid to early period. Late stiffening.
4- Pruning and Driving of the merseguera grape
It produces well in glass, but adapts very well to trellis pruning with royat-type arms with 3 or 4 thumbs.
5- Agronomic characteristics and adaptation to the viticultural environment
– Cultivate very plastic, with good climatic and edaphic adaptability .
– Very sensitive to powdery mildew.
– Medium resistant to mildew.
– Very sensitive to botrytis.
– Adapts well to poor and dry terrain.
– Early sprouting , so it can be sensitive to cold in spring.
– Late to very late collection.
– There is a genetic mutation detected and multiplied of merseguera ( Merseguera Tinta ).
6- Oenological potential of merseguera wines
– With early harvests it gives excellent musts with herbaceous and fruity aromas .
– It has the ability to produce very aromatic, fresh, slightly acidic wines of a moderate degree.
– Variety suitable for young fast-drinking wines , with a very pale color that can easily turn to straw-yellow colors.
– It gives rise to very easily differentiable and defined wines that are reminiscent of bitter almonds, with little body, light and very soft.
– It can be used for making liquors.
Other interesting articles: