La Mencía is originally from DO Bierzo , between the provinces of León and Zamora. Currently this variety is recovering a lot, and high quality wines are being made in the area. Experiences with this variety also begin in other areas outside the Bierzo.
1- Synonyms of the mention:
2- Characteristics of the mencia grapes:
Small in size , medium compact, with berries that are uniform in size and color, with a medium-sized peduncle and little lignification.
Small in size , elliptical-acuminate in shape, difficult to detach from its pedicel, with very dark bluish-black epidermis and lots of bloom, with a medium consistency without being hard, juicy.
- Medium vigor and bearing tending to the vertical.
- It is a variety with early sprouting and mid-season maturation.
- Little productive.
3- Characteristics of the strain:
- Vine variety of medium vigor and very productive, with early budding and good maturation.
- Mencia is sensitive to powdery mildew and mildew.
- Sensitive to wood diseases.
- Of medium sensitivity to botrytis .
- Little affected by mites.
4- Characteristics of Mencia wines:
Its musts are very fruity and aromatic , they do not have much coloring intensity but can give intense color in advanced ripening and with production regulation.
Red wines made with the Mencia grape are fruity , velvety wines with great color and acidity.
They stand out and support aging in wood very well .
Very suitable for young wines.
The rosé wines that are produced with mencia are usually aromatic, smooth and light and fruity.