1- ✅ Variety of Malbec vineyard
Malbec has its history and its origin in Bordeaux , although nowadays to speak of Malbec is indisputable to speak of Argentina.
Malbec is also known by one of these other names:
- Red cost,
- Sweet black,
- Saint Emilion,
The bunches are small to medium-sized, of high compactness and a very short peduncle.
The berries or grapes of this variety have the following characteristics:
- Large, of uniform size , with very marked stylar scar.
- Bluish black epidermis .
- Shape rounded.
- With easy detachment from the pedicel.
- Thick skin .
- Pulp not colored, soft and very juicy.
Its strains have these peculiarities:
- They have a precocious sprouting and maturation also precocious or half season.
- They are Vigorous .
- Of lowered bearing .
3- ✅ Viticulture of Malbec:
The sensitivity to pests and diseases and the particularities of malbec viticulture can be summarized in the following points:
- It is sensitive to powdery mildew, excoriation , other wood diseases and black rot.
- This variety is very sensitive to mildew and especially gray rot.
- Very sensitive to mites.
- Moderately sensitive to cluster moths and leafhoppers.
- It is very sensitive both to winter frosts and cold in spring and even to low temperatures in the sow that induce a strong shift in this variety.
- Very sensitive to drift.
- It is a demanding variety in potash and magnesium , but little nitrogen must be used due to its very high vigor.
- It requires good supports for its training.
- More quality is achieved with long pruning . It may take some practice to regulate production.
- It must be grafted on weak rootstocks to avoid bleeding due to excess vigor.
4- Winemaking potential:
It produces musts of high intensity of color , very tannic, not very aromatic, but with very peculiar and pleasant aromas.
Suitable for young wines.