The Pinot Gris variety is of origin from Burgundy where they call it Pinot Beurot. It is a mutation of Pinot Noir . It is used for the elaboration of late harvests and selection of “noble grains”.
1- Pinot Gris viticulture
It has been planted in Alsace for a long time and was called Tokay Pinot Gris until 2007.
Denominations (AOC) in France:
Pinot Gris (Alsace) and Côteaux d’Ancenis (Nantes)
This variety is known by several names:
Auxerrois Gris, Pinot Gris, Grauclevner, Grauer Mönch, malvoisie, petit gris, pinot Beurot, uva Pinot Grigio , red Burgundy, ruländer, Speyrer, tokay d’Alsace, Viliboner …
3- Characteristics of the strains
Racimos of Pinot Grigio:
- Small to very small , clearly cylindrical, winged, with clearly differentiated first branching and many times long pedunculated.
- Compact, homogeneous grains.
- With a long peduncle and little lignification.
Pinot grigio grapes:
The berries are:
- Small with a circular section and a slightly elliptical profile.
- With thick skin of gray-pinkish-brown color, with a lot of bloom.
- Compact, juicy and very aromatic pulp.
Cepas of pinot gris:
- – The strains are of medium low vigor.
- – The bearing is erect.
- – From mid-late to late sprouting or overflowing and maturation.
- – It is not very productive.
- – It is resistant to winter frost.
- – Resists cold well, even spring frosts.
4- Ampelographic description of the variety Pinot Gris or Pinot Grigio:
- Sums ranging from cottony white to off-white plush.
- Plush young leaves, then woven, to finish completely smooth.
- The adult leaves are whole or with 3 lobes.
- Narrow lyre-shaped foliar sinuses.
- Medium pigmentation in the nerves.
- Berries slightly elongated.
5- Adaptación to the medium Vitivinicola of the pinot grigio:
- Little resistance to active limestone.
- Sensitive to drought.
- Very sensitive to botrytis.
- Very sensitive to gray and acid rot.
- Sensible al black-rot.
- Little sensitive to excoriation.
- Sensitive to drying of the spine.
- Sensitive to mites.
- Sensitive to leafhoppers.
- Sensitive to cluster moth.
6- Enology and tasting of pinot gris wine:
Wine base of excellent aromaticity, but not very intense in color, very soft.
The tasting of their wines:
– In sight: layer of intense yellow to golden color, or even amber.
– On the nose: Not very intense, numerous aromas: mushrooms, apricot, honey, gingerbread, undergrowth.
– In the mouth: Very balanced, round, smooth and fresh.
Profile and characteristics of the wines from Pinot Grigio:
They are wines of great aromatic complexity, which perfectly substitute red wines with most dishes.
The pinot gris or grigio can be combined with the following foods: Mushrooms, foie gras, game, pork, kidneys, risottos, roasts, veal, poultry in sauce.
Other Sections that should interest you: